Applications are now being accepted for popular Certificate in Data Protection Practice
The Diploma Centre is now inviting applications for the Certificate in Data Protection Practice. Commencing on 26 February 2020, this always-popular course will strongly focus on the GDPR and how to apply it in practice.
Data is a valuable commodity. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which came into force in May 2018, has significantly changed the data protection landscape. Data protection and data security affects us all in both our personal and professional lives so it is essential to understand the many legal responsibilities and rights associated with collecting, retaining and processing data.
This certificate is designed to ensure that participants are equipped to understand and comply with the regulation’s requirements.
On completion of this programme, participants will have:
- a comprehensive knowledge of Regulation 2016/679 (the GDPR);
- an understanding of the data protection framework in Ireland as governed by the Data Protection Acts 1988-2018;
- an ability to apply that knowledge to a range of data protection issues in practice and to understand the role of the data protection officer;
- the skills to advise on subject access requests, legitimate processing, data retention, consent, and international data transfers;
- the confidence to recognise when a data breach has occurred and the notification requirements;
- an appreciation of the powers of the Data Protection Commission and the sanctions that can be imposed for non-compliance with the regulation;
- the skills to conduct a data privacy impact assessment and a data protection audit and to report on an organisation’s data governance and security.
This certificate course is also ideal for those who wish to improve their data protection knowledge while dealing with a busy schedule: An introductory lecture will take place on site and will also be webcast online; thereafter, there are online lectures on Wednesdays, with online workshops on Saturdays.
For further information, see www.lawsociety.ie/diplomacentre or contact Riona Leahy, Solicitor, Course Leader by email: email@example.com