Commencing on 2 February 2021, and jointly awarded by the Diploma Centre and the Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators (ICSA: The Governance Institute), the Certificate in Company Secretarial Law and Practice will offer a practical insight into company secretarial requirements in Ireland.
The requirement in the Companies Act 2014 obligating the directors of a company to appoint a suitably qualified individual to the position of company secretary has enhanced the company secretary’s position as the principal legal administrative and compliance officer within a company. The duties and responsibilities of the company secretary vary depending on the industry in question and the type of company involved. With an increased focus on the need for effective governance in the current climate, the position has expanded in many companies, and the scope of the role has moved beyond corporate compliance to become a focal point for advice about governance, compliance, and the conduct of business. This established course focuses on the procedural requirements of company secretarial practice and aims to provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of the company law framework and key corporate governance provisions under the Companies Act.
The Certificate in Company Secretarial Law and Practice covers key themes as listed below:
Module 1: Company law, the secretary, the board and members
- The role and legal duties of the company secretary,
- The Companies Act – structure and key provisions,
- The company incorporation process.
Module 2: Corporate compliance
- Maintaining the statutory registers,
- Types of members’ and directors’ resolutions,
- Annual returns and financial statements,
- Corporate governance.
Module 3: Corporate compliance 2 – shares
- Summary approvals procedure,
- Share capital – allotment, variation and transfer,
- Redemption and buyback.
Module 4: Corporate compliance 3 – wind up
- Types of company wind-up,
- Strike-off and restoration.
Module 5: Public limited company
- An introduction to the Company Secretarial requirements of a PLC
For further information, email Course LeaderLiam Dunne, Solicitor, at L.Dunne@LawSociety.ie, or go to www.lawsociety.ie/diplomacentre.