Become an accredited mediator with the Diploma in Mediator Training
The Diploma in Mediator Training, which begins on Friday 1 November, is accredited with the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII) and provides participants with a detailed knowledge of the scope of mediation in Ireland, together with the practical skills needed to advise and act in mediations. Our course includes personalised online learning in the form of interactive modules that can be undertaken by participants at a time suitable to them.
Those who successfully complete the course and the MII assessment are eligible to apply for certified membership of the MII.
The goal of this diploma is to provide an appreciation of the theoretical foundations of conflict and the mediation process and to equip participants with the necessary skills to successfully mediate disputes in a number of different settings. This course aims to promote mediation as a viable, effective and efficient alternative to court proceedings thereby reducing legal costs, speeding up the resolution of disputes and relieving the stress involved in court proceedings. This course is designed therefore not only to equip participants with the skills to act as a mediator, but also to consider fully how the practice of mediation will be impacted by the new statutory framework.
The course is delivered by way of a ‘flipped learning’ approach and begins with interactive online lessons providing in-depth learning about conflict, the process of mediation and its increasing importance in the litigation landscape including the Mediation Act 2017. On completion of this training programme participants will understand:
- The core theories of and strategies for analysing conflict.
- The law underpinning mediation and the theoretical foundation of the mediation process,
- The actual process of mediation itself and how to identify at an early stage whether a case is suitable for mediation,
- How to develop the core competencies necessary for mediating a dispute,
- How to use mediation skills and tools with fluidity and proficiency,
- The mediator’s role and the inherent challenges of mediation process,
- The challenges and opportunities if considering establishing a mediation practice.
For further information visit www.lawsociety.ie/diplomacentre or contact Nicholas Kelly, Course Leader, by emailing Nicholas.Kelly@LawSociety.ie.